APPLY TO PLAY AT THE MARKET
The live music at the Market is always a highlight for vendors and visitors. Are you a musician interested in performing on Market days? Contact us today
2022 Holiday Market
- November 27 – Join us from 11am – 3pm for our Holiday Market at Dalbrae Academy (11156 Hwy 19, Mabou) to shop from over 50 vendos. We have two great Wellness Events planned for you! Join Adrienne Gasior, from a&x farm and learn to make your own Holiday Wreath. Registration is on a first come, first served basis. The workshop will take place at 11:30am. Rings, wire, greenery & bows will be provided. There is no cost to attend the workshop, as it has been funded by the Strait Richmond Community Health Board and Central Inverness Community Health Board. Register here. Join Mull River Farm’s Indigo Christ for a taste-test of local veggies available throughout the winter months. Try out a variety you’ve never seen before, or learn about a new way to prepare a classic.
2022 Market Music & Events
- June 5 – Music from Dara Smith-MacDonald and Adam Young. “Seedling Sunday” come shop for Seedlings from our vendors & learn about Garden Planning from Kailea Pedley of Patchwood Farm.
- June 12 – Music from Pius MacIsaac. “How to Care for Your Perennials” with Ruth Lapp of Grandmother Birch Forest Garden Designs, 12:30 at the Wellness Booth.
- June 19 – Music from Mi’kmaq fiddler & singer, Morgan Toney. Join Eva Apukjij for Mi’kmaq Art and Storytelling. The event will take place outdoors near the picnic tables where she will share Fairy Tales, 11:30 – 12:30. Rain Date – June 26th.
- June 26 – Music from Andrea Beaton. Learn Step Dancing with Melody Cameron of the Mabou School of Cape Breton Step Dance, 1-2pm. The Session will begin with some simple steps and then walk through a square set.
- July 3 – Music from Brad Reid on Fiddle and Adam Young on Piano.
- July 10 – Music from The LeBlanc Family. Join Ann Marie Powers for morning Yoga before you shop the market. Join us for a simple Traditional Indian Yoga & meditation practice from 9-10:30am to help restore natural balance, focus and inner peace. Please bring a yoga mat, water & a blanket for savasana if possible & wear comfy clothes that allow freedom of movement. This simple & gentle all-levels practice will focus on connection to the breath as we move through asanas, closing with a 10-minute mediation. As part of our “Wellness at the Market” events, this class is free, but a small donation for the We’koqma’q First nation Foodbank is welcome.
- July 17 – Music from Mike MacInnis. Exploring your Health and Well-Being through the Spine. Join Michelle Greenwell, at our Wellness Booth, as she shares a very special look at the spine & movement for energy & vitality.
- July 24 – Music from John Alan Aucoin. Next Ride Nova Scotia will be in the lower parking lot! Prebook your test drive on their website.
- July 31 – 15th Anniversary Celebration! – Music from Brad Reid and Eric Marcotte. Face painting for the Kids! Come learn about being outdoors safely & responsibly from our friends at Parks Canada. Enter to win a gift bag full of goodies from the Market!
- August 7 – Music from Ashley MacDonnell & Neil Campbell
- August 14 – Music from Andrea Beaton.
- August 21- Music from Shiretown. Join Monashee Alonso, from El Serrano Farm, and make a summer flower arrangement. Registration is on a first come, first served basis. The workshop will take place at the Wellness Booth, from 12 – 12:45pm. Flowers and vases will be provided.
There is no cost to attend the workshop, as it has been funded by the Strait Richmond Community Health Board and Central Inverness Community Health Board. Register here. Tonya Fraser will also be at our Wellness Booth sharing more information on the Butterflyway Project, which focuses on increasing the presence of native wildflowers to our ecozone, that are beneficial to pollinators.
- August 28 – Music from Mary Beth Carty. How do you get around Inverness County – by car, bus, transit, or bike? The Municipality of the County of Inverness is conducting a review of public transportation services, and your input is important. Share your transportation needs and challenges at cbcl.mysocialpinpoint.com/ride, and visit them at our Wellness Booth.
- September 4 – Music from Alicia Penney. Join an outdoor Tai Chi class, with Michelle Greenwell from 9:30 – 10:30. Learn more about the power of movement to remove aches & complaints, to add flexibility & strength, & to calm the mind & spirit. With opportunities for both a seated form & standing form, this introduction will provide you with a personalized approach to your well-being. Michelle Greenwell has been leading Tai Chi & movement classes for health & wellness for over 4 decades & has the experience to support your ease of learning to move well, gain posture & vitality, & to have fun in the process of the class community. https://linktr.ee/dancedebut for more info. Tai Chi is currently offered in Creignish hall Wed nights at 6:30 & at the ICCA in Inverness Mon mornings at 9. Beginners are welcome. – The Red Cross will be at our Wellness Booth – The Community Outreach Initiative aims to engage the community with their programs and services, such as Community Health, Emergency Management, and Friendly Calls. Volunteerism is at the heart of the Red Cross, therefore topics such as opportunities with them and ways to connect with volunteers will be available. Additionally, a “Thank You” board will be posted to encourage people to thank the volunteers people have in their life. Through this initiative, The Red Cross hopes to re-engage with the community after COVID-19 and show them that they are here when they are needed.
- September 11 – Music from Mike MacInnis. Learn to Knit with Cate Lake-Thompson of Bellemeade Farm. Have you ever wanted to learn to knit? Depending how much time you want to spend, you can learn one or both of the basic knitting stitches and leave with the information to help you continue on your own.
- September 18 – Music from Kenny Petitpas – “5 Unusual Vegetables & How to Cook with Them” with Indigo Christ of Mull River Farm.
- *MARKET CANCELLED!* September 25 – Music from Dara Smith-MacDonald. Tonya Fraser will return with her information on the Butterflyway Project
- October 2 – Music from Ty Wallace. Fall Harvest Celebration – join us as we celebrate the arrival of Fall! Visit the Market table to pick up your beans and vote for your favourite Peculiar Vegetable Creation by vendors! Kids can also pick up a scavenger hunt sheet. Explore the Market and find all of the items on the list, then return the sheet with your name & phone number to enter to win Market Money. There will also be face painting, crafts & a discovery table for the kids! “Wellness of the People vs. Wellness of the Planet: How to enjoy the outdoors in a way that takes care of you and the environment” – Using the Leave No Trace principles as a baseline, Sirenna Trafford from Camp Cook’s Cache (a dehydrated foods business here on Cape Breton island) will lead discussions into the why and how of preserving our natural environment, all while benefiting from the positive mental and physical impacts that the outdoors can have on us as human beings.”
- October 9 – Music from Brad Reid. Tonya Fraser will be at our Wellness Booth sharing more information on the Butterflyway Project, which focuses on increasing the presence of native wildflowers to our ecozone, that are beneficial to pollinators.