APPLY TO PLAY AT THE MARKET
The live music at the Market is always a highlight for vendors and visitors. Are you a musician interested in performing on Market days? Contact us today
2023 Market Music & Events
- December 3 – Holiday Market at Dalbrae Academy – 11156 Hwy 19, Mabou 11am – 3pm
- June 4 – Music from Betsy MacDonald
- June 11 – Music from Dara Smith-MacDonald & Adam Young. SEED STARTING & PLANT CARE ON A BUDGET: Come and join Kailea Pedley of Patchwood Farm to discuss seed starting and plant care on a budget. Kailea will have information and examples of how you can start your seeds and care for your plants on a budget, using things you already have at home! She will also have seeds, soil and pots on hand for children to plant their own vegetables or flowers. We encourage our little gardeners to document the progress their plant makes and share it with us throughout the season, especially if they are able to harvest and eat what they grow! We will share photos and updates from gardeners during our Fall Harvest Celebration. Inverness County Sort it Out – Waste Services will be joining us to share information on how to properly sort your household waste. Pick up handy sorting guides and waste and recycling handbooks to take home. Play “Alcatrash” and be entered to win a prize!
- June 18 – Music from Alan Aucoin – Pick up a free Tree Seedling from Forest Nova Scotia – Forest Nova Scotia (FNS) launched a campaign #OurTrees to share the history and importance of Nova Scotia’s Forest sector. Part of this campaign is donating tree seedlings to individuals across the province to encourage Nova Scotians to plant their own tree and get everyone involved in caring for our forests. For more information visit: https://forestns.ca/ or https://www.ourtrees.ca/
- June 25 – Music from Darrell Lahay – Visit our “Healthy Choices” booth, next to our Market Table, where we will be dishing out taste-tests of local produce, recipes and health tips. We will also have $5 vouchers for the first 125 guests, to get you trying new Market Products!
- July 2 – Music from Mary Beth Carty
- July 9 – Music from Brad Reid – CALLING YOUNG ARTISTS! We need your help creating a new Mabou Farmers’ Market Banner for our Market Table. Find our banner near the music stage and colour, draw and decorate a banner that represents our Market!
- July 16 – Music from Alan Aucoin
- July 23 – Music from Jonathan Andrews
- July 30 – Music from Betsy MacDonald – Meet Patti and Lynn from YMCA Cape Breton and NSHA Youth Outreach at the market this week. They’ll be promoting their summer drop-ins for area teens and answering questions about their career-planning and mental health services in local schools come September.
- August 6 – Music from Mike MacInnis – Employees of the Department of Community Services, Child and Family Wellbeing will be in attendance sharing information about the new Foster Care Program.
- August 13 – Music from Ashley MacDonnell – Next Ride is returning to the Market to give you a chance to test drive electric vehicles and ebikes. For more info and to book your test drive, visit www.NextRideNS.com
- August 20 – Music from Mary Beth Carty
- August 27 – Music from Alicia Penney – The Cape Breton Welcome Network is a constellation of local, volunteer-led Welcome Groups made up of enthusiastic people eager to share their passion for Unama’ki – Cape Breton with newcomers. If you are new to Cape Breton – or if you’d like to help welcome those who are – the Welcome Network is a great place to start. Stop by the community table (next to the music stage) to chat with Jessica Fogarty, the Welcome Network Coordinator, to learn more about the network and how you can get involved! https://welcometocapebreton.ca/welcome-network.
- September 3 – Music from Alan Aucoin – Employees of the Department of Community Services, Child and Family Wellbeing will be in attendance to share information about the new Foster Care Program
- September 10 – Music from Shiretown
- September 17 – Music from Kenny Petitpas – Visit our “Healthy Choices” booth, next to our Market Table, where we will be dishing out taste-tests of local produce, recipes and health tips. We will also have $5 vouchers for the first 195 guests, to get you trying new Market Products! – Atlantic Coastal Action Program (ACAP) Cape Breton will be onsite to educate market goers on their natural environment. Find them at our Community table next to our music stage.
- September 24 – Music from Dara Smith-MacDonald & Adam Young. Join us for our Fall Harvest Celebration – come and vote for your favourite Peculiar Veg, created by our vendors. There will be a scavenger hunt for the kids with a chance to win Market Money! If your little one planted something at our Market on June 11th, please share photos of their plant or what they harvested. Inverness County Sort it Out – Waste Services will be returning to the Market share information on how to properly sort your household waste. Bring your household batteries in for recycling and be entered to win $25 in Market Money!
- October 1 – Music from Darrell Lahay
- October 8 – Music from Lauren MacDonnell and Brad Reid